Order of St Vladimir, 4th class Breast Badge for 35 Years
Service, in gold, by Albert Keibel, 1894 - 1899.
Gold, enamels; measures 34.9 mm in width, 38.8 mm in
incl. eyelet; weighs 6.3 grams not including the
ribbon and connecting loop.
Maker marked "AK" under red enamel on the reverse lower
and shows double-headed eagle warrant on the reverse
arm. The eyelet has "56" gold hallmark with the St.
Petersburg assay inspection emblem of crossed anchors and
scepter. The latter narrows the period of manufacture to
just five years, from 1894-1899: from the moment when
Keibel inherited the highly esteemed jewelry firm from
father Julius and the year when the assay marks changed
the more familiar "Kokoshniks".
In very fine condition. The red enamel on the arms is
well preserved overall. It is completely free of the
chips, flaking or significant scratches and shows only
surface rubbing. There is a single tiny hairline to the
reverse on the 9 O'clock arm (when viewed from the
but it is barely noticeable to the unaided eye and
appear to be affecting the integrity of enamel. The
of the center medallion is perfect, with beautifully
preserved, bright cartouche. The black enamel on the
reverse of the medallion has been partly replaced, but
is only noticeable at very close examination with a
magnifying glass or under the "black light".
The badge includes connecting loop in unmarked gold. The
ribbon in silk moiré has a safety pin attachment in
Both the loop and suspension are of the period and in all
likelihood, original to the order. The ribbon is
Overall, this is a very attractive, relatively early
of the uncommon length of service issue of the Order of